Notices
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Is natural death the only way out? — On the topic of death

1. #161 Why You No Longer Need to Fear Death — by Richard West 
    I had the pleasure of giving a workshop at Trew Fields cancer and holistic health awareness festival this last weekend. It was truly inspiring to see so many people challenging their preconceived ideas and conditioning around subjects such as cancer, drugs, holistic therapies and death. However, even here I observed some resistance to talking about dying itself.

It is such a taboo subject, and yet my aim is to break this taboo by normalising it for people in a way that not only reduces fear of the dying process, but also gives you the tools to approach it in a conscious way, which is ultimately free from suffering.

Defining Death

The first thing to do to take us in this direction is to define death. Ultimately, what we see as death is just one manifestation of a process which is happening all the time. So instead of focussing on death as going from one state (alive) to another (dead), it is much more helpful to see it like this:

Dying is, the breaking down of one reality in order to make way for another.
    This is an excellent article. Other points of view concerning death that Richard discusses are...

Making Dying Normal
    Your Pain is Where the Light Enters
    Losing Your Identity to Find Yourself
    Why Fear Death?

Why You No Longer Need to Fear Death — by Richard West

http://www.comebacktothesource.com/a...-to-fear-death

Dear Welles,

This article is very similar to taking a path of renunciation. I've come to realize even my goals to shape life the way I see fit, while admirable, desirable and attainable are also derived from Ego which will one day face annihilation. While I am here, I will strive for my loftier goals of health and spiritual liberation(as the indwelling Spirit within has come to see it). These are callings no one else will define, even if we tread similar paths.

I am still not ready to go. It's time to get ready.

As we come face to face with the great no thing- I pray we dissolve in Peace.

The time to leave this physical shell and the identity we've assumed draws near. What is time to an Almighty God?

Hahaha.

Thank you friend.

3. #163 These ‘End-Of-Life Doulas’ Are Guiding People Peacefully To Their Death 
    When we typically hear the term doula, we either think ‘what the heck is that?’, or we may already know that a doula is a trained professional who assists in a more natural process of childbirth, usually in the home.

So essentially, a ‘death doula’ is virtually the opposite: someone who assists a person who has a terminal illness, as well as helping that person’s friends, family members and even animals come to terms with the fast approaching morality that we will all face one day.

In the world of mainstream medicine, doctors themselves don’t offer much to people who are on their deathbed, especially on an emotional level. Family members and friends are often left in the dark as to how they are supposed to cope with the knowledge that their loved one will pass. They are rarely given methods through which they can talk candidly about their loved one’s inevitable death, and therefore this topic is often not discussed, which can make it much more difficult to process for the person who is dying and for everyone who is close to them.
    These ‘End-Of-Life Doulas’ Are Guiding People Peacefully To Their Death — by Alanna Ketler

https://www.collective-evolution.com...o-their-death/

4. #164 A Mother’s Dying Message: What Matters Most Is the Love We Give — by Cameron Connelly 
    I felt her grip on my hand. Still I babbled on, “You didn't get a chance to live your life. There's so much you didn't accomplish.” At that moment, she squeezed the blood from my hand, then relaxed her hold. I knew to be silent. She told my brothers and sister to move in closer. She had something that needed to be heard, and she wanted to see everyone's faces.

“Listen. When I hear the word “accomplish,” I do think of my life, but not the things I haven't done. Look around this room. Look at what I’ve created. I have no disappointment, no regret. Sure I would have enjoyed writing and traveling, but they certainly wouldn't have defined who I am. I picked the greatest partner and took on the hardest job in the world.”

She took a deep breath and resumed, “Just witnessing how wonderfully you've all turned out, the bonds you’ve built, and the love you share with your own families, I am filled with a pride that only a mother could know. So please, please, don't look back on me as having a life unfulfilled. Right here, in front of me, is the greatest accomplishment of all.”
    A Mother’s Dying Message: What Matters Most Is the Love We Give — by Cameron Connelly

https://tinybuddha.com/blog/a-mother...-love-we-give/

5. #165 The Permanence of NEVER — by Christina Rasmussen 
    I wasn’t a writer before he died.

But grief turned out to be the great word maker.

A great obliterator.

It shook me to get these words out.

When grief found me inconsolable it gave me a pen and said write your way out, console yourself. Get yourself beyond the insanity.

But I didn’t write anything the first four years.

I had a diary, and wrote some of these words there.

But nowhere else.

The words started to stuck up. And up and up.

All of a sudden they started to spill out.

The words taught me that there was no going back to who I was.

Only who I could become.

A mixed blessing, that grief is.

Isn’t it?
    The Permanence of NEVER — by Christina Rasmussen

https://www.positivelypositive.com/2...ence-of-never/

Death is nothing but the taking off of one garb and giving it back to the plane from which it was borrowed, for the condition is this: one cannot take the garb of the lower plane to the higher plane. The soul is only released when it is willing – or compelled – to give its garb to the plane it has taken it from. It is this which releases the soul to go on in its travel. And as it proceeds to a higher plane, after its stay there it must again give its garb back and be purified from it in order to go further.If people knew this they would look at life from a different point of view; they would understand the meaning of the moral: you cannot get away with anything that does not really belong to you. And they would come to realize after the study of philosophy that even their body does not belong to them; it is a borrowed property and must be returned one day. Therefore the wise disown it before they are obliged to give it up. All the spiritual exercises given by teachers are practiced for this purpose: that we may begin to disown our body from today, that we may not have the remorse of having lost something we thought to be most precious.
    This knowledge also throws a light upon the question of death. Death is not really death; it is only a passing stage, it is only a change, as changing clothes. One might think, 'Do we not become less by dying?' It is not so. We become more by dying, not less, for once the physical garb has been thrown away the soul enjoys a greater freedom, a greater liberation for the reason that the limitation of the physical body is great. The physical body weighs heavy on the soul and the day when this burden is taken off, the soul feels lighter, its faculties, tendencies, inspiration and power, all manifest more freely. Therefore death is no loss.

https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/XIV/XIV_2_3.htm
    =)

Natural death is not the only way out. The path of the renunciant is such a way to Liberation. According to above, once a soul has fulfilled its purpose, it can move to the higher spheres. In actuality, the higher spheres are accessible whilst on this plane- it simply requires a fine tuning of the senses and an understanding that we are not just our body. There is a 6th sense, an unseen eye that can see- an unseen ear that can hear, unknown lips that can speak and an unrecognized mind that knows. We have access to higher spheres while in our mortal shells but by association and thinking life is all we can see and make tangible we forget about the subtler realms which are freely accessible. We've identified ourselves as the drop within the ocean, forgetting we are part of something much greater.

8. #168 On physical death — Teacher Prolotheous 
    “Death is a unique experience for each human being and although observed daily, it has never been fully understood to satisfactorily explain its implications or to anticipate the experience of it for each individual. In this sense, it is a veiled mystery that awaits one’s personal translation. In death, physical and mental energies stop their activities. Physical pulsation stops, and mind without their physical support and structure also ceases to function and vanishes. The immediate consequence of these physical and mental energies’ cessations is the loss of consciousness that, although similar to the slumber state of sleeping, registers no dreaming experience, no mental activity at all, being a wholly non-conscious state. In death a dissociation of energies occurs: you lose realization, but not your reality.
    On physical death — Teacher Prolotheous

http://www.1111angels.net/index.php/...physical-death

9. #169 How the Fear of Death Shapes Our Behaviors and Choices during Life — by Janey D. 
    How would you live the rest of your life if you knew the exact time, date and method of your death? Would your fear of death shape your future behaviour? Experts think it would.

Every single one of us knows that we are going to die. For most people, it stays at the back of their minds, surfacing only in moments of great self-introspection. Psychologists believe that this lurking fear of death motivates every part of our lives.

It drives our subconscious decisions. Whether this is attending church, having children, following a healthy diet, to how we spend our leisure time. We tend to consign death to the back of our minds. Chris Feudtner, paediatrician and ethicist at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania states:

“Most of the time, we go through our days unaware, not thinking of our mortality. We cope by focusing on the things more directly in front of us.”
    That's just the intro. Read on for some interesting thoughts on the subject.

How the Fear of Death Shapes Our Behaviors and Choices during Life — by Janey D.

https://www.learning-mind.com/fear-of-death-psychology/

10. #170 How to Face Grief in Yourself and Others — an interview with Julia Samuel 
    Julia Samuel is a psychotherapist who has spent more than twenty-five years helping people grieve the loss of loved ones. She is the U.K.’s leading grief expert, author of Grief Works: Stories of Life, Death, and Surviving, and godmother to Prince George. She believes that when we face our fears—the death of someone we love, our own death, or being with bereaved friends—we are better able to cope with them.

We at OptionB.Org had a conversation with Samuel on why we fear grief and pain and how we can talk about them openly.
    Here's the first question/answer to give you a feel for Julia's wisdom.

OptionB.Org: Why does grief sometimes come in waves?

Julia Samuel: We’re wired to protect ourselves so we’re not faced with reality all at once. We adjust to it bit by bit. Imagine walking into a room and seeing or smelling something that reminds you of the person who’s died. In that moment, you are acutely aware that they are not coming back. The pain forces you to face reality, its harshness and its brutality. The process of grieving is moving in and out of these moments.
    How to Face Grief in Yourself and Others — an interview with Julia Samuel

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/art...elf_and_others