Notices
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Family and Parenting

1. #111 How (And When) to Apologize to Your Child — by Dr. Laura Markham 
    Blog Entries
    "But what does a child learn when a parent avoids apologies?

Apologizing means you’ve done something bad, or you are bad. There’s a feeling of shame attached.

It’s okay to damage a relationship and not acknowledge it or try to repair it.

When you apologize, you lose status.

No wonder kids won’t apologize to their siblings unless we force them! Wouldn’t it be better to teach these lessons, which your child learns when you model apologies?

We all sometimes make mistakes and we can try to make things better.

We all sometimes hurt others. It’s important to acknowledge when we do that and make amends.

When you apologize, the other person feels better about you.

Apologizing still may not feel easy for your child. But if you “normalize” apologizing and let your child decide when she’s ready to do it, you’ll find she’s much less resistant, and even begins to take the initiative because she enjoys the feeling of redemption."

How (And When) to Apologize to Your Child — by Dr. Laura Markham

http://www.positivelypositive.com/20...to-your-child/

2. #112 New Study Reveals Why It’s So Important To Hug & Hold Your Babies — by Alanna Ketler 
    Blog Entries
    "In the same way that you can harm the development of your child’s brain by spanking, you can do the same by not giving them enough love and affection, suggests new study. Physical affection during a baby’s development period is even more important than we may have thought.

To some this may sound obvious, but to many, the importance of affection is gravely overlooked and many are unaware of how much of a difference it can actually make. Skin-to-skin contact is essential for the release of the love/feel good chemical, dopamine, and this helps to aid in the healthy development of a child’s brain.

Quite simply, the more you hug a baby, the more their brains grow and develop, says a recent study from Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Ohio."

New Study Reveals Why It’s So Important To Hug & Hold Your Babies — by Alanna Ketler

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...d-your-babies/

3. #113 It Only Takes Ten Minutes to Stop Your Child’s Whining — by Dr. Laura Markham 
    "Now when my daughter starts whining, I hold her. Sometimes it takes ten minutes, but then she tells me when she’s done, and goes off. It seems to ground her. It grounds me, too.” – Kelly

Kelly put it beautifully — when we reach out to hold a whining child, we really are like a lightning rod, helping our child to ground herself. Once she’s restored to a state of balance and well-being, she no longer needs to whine.

Whining can drive any parent crazy. It’s tempting to tell them we can’t listen until they use a more grown-up voice. But kids aren’t grown-ups, and their whining is a plea for help. Quite simply, children whine when they’re overwhelmed. They need to borrow our calm love so they can self-regulate."

It Only Takes Ten Minutes to Stop Your Child’s Whining — by Dr. Laura Markham

http://www.positivelypositive.com/20...hilds-whining/

4. #114 Blending a Family — by Erin Salem 
    I thought Erin's article was fascinating. I haven't run into anyone discussing the issues of blending two families...

"I tried desperately for years to make a meaningful connection with my stepson. I tried to construct the perfect family out of these four family-shaped pieces, but nothing fit. Essentially at a certain point, I gave up trying. I quit planning perfect outings and photo-worthy dinners. I let everybody do what made them comfortable, not because I’m a deeply spiritual person who chose to release resistance; I did it because I was sick of trying.

My husband and stepson started going to the movies together while my son and me went to the park. We all ate breakfast at different times. A lot of times we were all in separate rooms even though we were all home.

But once I gave up and stopped trying to “set the scene,” I realized I was actually meeting everyone else in my family where they were. And slowly, moments of authentic togetherness happened here and there."

Blending a Family — by Erin Salem

http://www.positivelypositive.com/20...ding-a-family/