Notices
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Family and Parenting

1. #121 The Power of Gratitude in Parenting — by Carla Naumburg 
    Carla describes how the realization of the value of gratitude started. Then she goes on to enumerate these five areas in which she finds it particularly valuable for her before giving us an excellent mnemonic to remind us to use gratitude in parenting (and everyday life for we non-parents).

Five Ways Gratitude Can Make Parenting Easier

Gratitude has become one of my go-to responses to difficult parenting situations, and not just during mundane or unpleasant tasks. Here are few other times:

1. When I’m completely exhausted and just can’t deal.
    2. Whenever my girls get sick or injured, my thoughts start spinning.
    3. When I’m anxious about the future.
    4. When I can’t help but imagine the worst.
    5. When I’m distracted.
    The Power of Gratitude in Parenting — by Carla Naumburg

https://www.mindful.org/the-power-of...-in-parenting/

2. #122 How to Teach Your Kids about Their Inner Critic — by Hazel Harrison 
    Have you ever heard your child say something like: “I’m not good at this,” or “I’m so stupid,” or “It’s all my fault,” or even “I shouldn’t have even tried.” Perhaps some kids don’t say these things out loud, but maybe they refrain from doing certain activities or speaking up in school because they’ve already convinced themselves that they’re not good enough. Over time, these behaviors can grow into what we all have come to know as the inner critic.

For kids, however, I like to refer to the inner critic as “The Critical Critter” to take some of the weight off. Exploring self-critical thoughts can often feel like heavy, exhausting work, so using a playful approach can help children bring a certain amount of lightness to balance out the heavy work of noticing unhelpful habits and challenging them or approaching them differently.

The character of the inner critic as “Critter” helps children understand when they are being too hard on themselves and also the crucial lesson that thoughts are not facts. Just because we think we’re rubbish at something doesn’t make it true.
    How to Teach Your Kids about Their Inner Critic — by Hazel Harrison

https://www.mindful.org/how-to-teach...-inner-critic/