Notices
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Family and Parenting

1. #141 The Best Things Iíve Learned About Raising Children ó by Leo Babauta 
    I donít consider myself a parenting expert, but I have helped raise six kids (along with their mothers), and being a father has been one of the most rewarding things in my life.

And while Iím not a perfect father, I think Iím pretty good at it. Mostly because I absolutely love it.

Eva and I also have some slightly non-conventional parenting ideas that might be useful to parents who are always looking for new ways of thinking about things.

So Iím going to share the best things Iíve learned about raising children, not because my way is the best, but because itís always helpful to have a discussion about parenting.

A really important note: Much of the work of parenting, if not most, was done by my kidsí moms (my wife Eva and my first two kidsí mom). I can only take a little credit.

Here are some of the best things Iíve learned:
    Leo proceeds to offer 18 lessons he has learned and discusses each briefly. Two of his lessons are Let them direct their own learning, and In the end, they will be the person they are. You donít get to decide who that is.

The Best Things Iíve Learned About Raising Children ó by Leo Babauta

https://zenhabits.net/childs/

2. #142 The Challenges of Raising a Digital Native | Devorah Heitner, Ph.D. | TEDxNaperville 
    Often these days, we worry about our children on the internet. We teach them a long list of dos and doníts and hope they turn out to be effective communicators and responsible digital citizens. Is this the best approach? In a world where the internet permeates our lives, how do we keep our children from being too connected or not connected enough? What can we do to create a new digital citizenry that safely and effectively rules the internet?

Dr. Devorah Heitner is the founder and director of Raising Digital Natives, a resource for parents and schools seeking advice on how help children thrive in a world of digital connectedness.

3. #143 10 Things I've Learned From 10 Years of Parenting ó by Lynn Shattuck 
    Somehow, I’ve racked up nearly a decade of parenting.

While I’m constantly humbled—and often humiliated— by this whole mom gig, I’ve learned a thing or two in my tenure.

Here are some of the highlights:

1. Kids show up with their own personalities.
    2. The nature of everything is change.
    3. I’m so not the parent I thought I’d be.
    4. Time flies when you’re having kids.
    5. Guilt is inevitable—suffering is optional.
    6. We’re mostly just wingin’ it.
    7. And, the huge decisions we’re faced with aren’t actually that huge.
    8. Our children literally change us.
    9. Being perfect isn’t our job.
    10. It gets easier.
    The descriptions that accompany each of those highlights are delightful.

10 Things I've Learned From 10 Years of Parenting — by Lynn Shattuck

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2019...-of-parenting/

4. #144 How Inuit Parents Teach Kids To Control Their Anger ó by Jane Greenhalgh 
    Back in the 1960s, a Harvard graduate student made a landmark discovery about the nature of human anger.

At age 34, Jean Briggs traveled above the Arctic Circle and lived out on the tundra for 17 months. There were no roads, no heating systems, no grocery stores. Winter temperatures could easily dip below minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Briggs persuaded an Inuit family to "adopt" her and "try to keep her alive," as the anthropologist wrote in 1970.

At the time, many Inuit families lived similar to the way their ancestors had for thousands of years. They built igloos in the winter and tents in the summer. "And we ate only what the animals provided, such as fish, seal and caribou," says Myna Ishulutak, a film producer and language teacher who lived a similar lifestyle as a young girl.

Briggs quickly realized something remarkable was going on in these families: The adults had an extraordinary ability to control their anger.
    As this fascinating article continues we learn how Inuit mothers (primarily) teach their children to control their anger.

How Inuit Parents Teach Kids To Control Their Anger ó by Jane Greenhalgh

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ol-their-anger