Notices
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Family and Parenting

1. #101 Tips for Starting a Family Holiday Tradition — by Gretchen Rubin 
    Blog Entries
    I've long held the opinion that children should be encouraged to create a tradition within the family. That would take the mystery out of an aspect of the world they will encounter as they grow into the larger community. Traditions are just things somebody made up and repeated enough that eventually the origins were lost. When children create a tradition they learn to create their world (and pick and choose from traditions other people made up).

"Studies show that traditions are quite important to family happiness. In fact, family rituals encourage children’s social development and boost feelings of family cohesiveness by 17%. They help provide connection and predictability, which people–especially children–crave. Without traditions, holidays don’t feel much different from ordinary life. And they’re a lot of fun.

So how do you start a family holiday tradition?"

Tips for Starting a Family Holiday Tradition — by Gretchen Rubin

http://www.positivelypositive.com/20...day-tradition/

2. #102 A Buddhist Teaching that helps me as I Stumble through Motherhood. — by Korrin Rogers 
    Blog Entries
    We begin by contemplating the impermanence of this precious opportunity as human beings by recognizing that this is not a lasting condition. Our bodies, as well as all other phenomena are impermanent.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say I’m not alone in not wanting to meditate on the idea that I’m going to die. But what I’ve learned is that the teaching is so much more than that. The point is to not get caught up in the illusions because everything has a beginning and an ending.

We’re in a great mood one moment and the next we are not. We’re in love and then we’re not."

I've provided the essential realization Korrin applied to motherhood. You really should read how it is so applicable.

A Buddhist Teaching that helps me as I Stumble through Motherhood. — by Korrin Rogers

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2017...gh-motherhood/

3. #103 The gifts of a conscious partnership — by Anne-Marie Charest 
    Blog Entries
    "As children, we are taught that princes and princesses live happily ever after. Unfortunately for most, this fairytale quickly turns into disenchantment with the tough reality and challenges that relationships create along the way. According to research published by Paul Amato (2010), 46% of marriages will end in divorce. By the time we are in our early teens, many of us will have already experienced firsthand the hardship and pain of separation, through witnessing our own parents’ rites of passage, or those of a more-distant relative. Here, not only are partners tormented, but ultimately an entire community is also affected.
    Having been married for over 30 years, I can attest that we have climbed some of the most traitorous mountains along the way. Yet, each climb permitted us to awaken to something new within ourselves and in our relationship. With each step, we gained tremendous wisdom and clarity as to what was important for us. It is through this journey that I began to awaken to the spirit of what it meant to be in a conscious partnership. Over the years, I have experienced and distinguished four distinct phases of our partnership. They may be categorized as: 1) Attraction Phase, 2) Attachment Phase, 3) Questioning Phase, and 4) Conscious Partnership Phase."

Anne-Marie procedes to discuss in depth the four phases of partnership she recognizes.

The gifts of a conscious partnership — by Anne-Marie Charest

http://moonmagazine.org/anne-marie-c...ip-2017-12-30/

4. #104 Your Children Are Being Brainwashed Daily & These Studies Prove it 
    Blog Entries
    Gavin writes...

"It blows my mind how many adults mindlessly leave their children unattended with the TV set, thinking that their little ones are simply being entertained, when in fact they are being brainwashed.

Several studies have now shown that babies recognize corporate logos before they can even read.

The original study was done in the United States back in 1991, but has since been corroborated more recently in Australia and the Netherlands as well. The findings should concern parents across the globe.

Back in 1991, a group of 229 children in Atlanta, Georgia “demonstrated high rates of logo recognition,” but what especially concerned the researchers is that the children were especially drawn towards Joe Camel, the cartoon character promoting Camel Cigarettes."

The 'how to protect them' is simple. Start by getting rid of your TV.

Your Children Are Being Brainwashed Daily & These Studies Prove it — Learn How To Protect Them — by Gavin Nascimento

https://anewkindofhuman.com/brainwas...ver-childhood/

5. #105 Dr. Dan Siegel: What Hearing “Yes” Does to Your Child’s Brain — by Lu Hanessian 
    Blog Entries
    "It's not about permissive parenting, says Dr. Dan Siegel in his new book "Yes Brain" with co-author Tina Payne Bryson. It's about using "yes" to find ways to relate, which encourages kids to explore and be resilient, instead of starting at "no," which shuts them down."

That's the theme of this fine interview of Dr. Dan Seigel by Lu Hanessian.

Dr. Dan Siegel: What Hearing “Yes” Does to Your Child’s Brain — by Lu Hanessian

https://www.mindful.org/dr-dan-siege...-childs-brain/

6. #106 What Annoys Us About Others Can Teach Us About Ourselves — by José de le Torre 
    Blog Entries
    This is a remarkably forthright article about how the emotional difficulties of the parents are instilled in the children. Part of the message is not to push your children to exceed limitations that you may have given them by emotional osmosis (so to speak). José is providing a very enlightened perspective.

"Practice the Golden Rule

Of course as parents, we want to support our children and provide them everything they need to be happy, healthy, and successful. What parent doesn’t? It may frustrate us that they are not living up to their potential, as we see it—but the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. Are they mirroring our own behavior?

As parents, we show our children love and patience, but our expectations of them should follow the mirroring principle, or the golden rule—would we want to be held to the same standards? My daughter could be captain of the soccer team, but would I want to be one, if I was in her position? Probably not.

We could make our kids practice the piano for an hour every day, and do their homework for three hours after school. Would we want to do that? Probably not."

What Annoys Us About Others Can Teach Us About Ourselves — by José de le Torre

https://tinybuddha.com/blog/what-ann...out-ourselves/

7. #107 How to Raise Non-Judgmental Children: 5 Ways to Build Empathy and Compassion 
    Blog Entries
    "Why do people judge others? Judging others is a natural instinct because they look, sound or behave differently to us. It is a primal instinct to defend territory and we take a fight or flight response and this may have worked for cave men that needed to protect their own areas, however today it runs deeper.

The main reasons for judging others is a lack of understanding, perceived views from experience or upbringing or a lack of empathy and compassion.

Perceived views and lack of empathy and compassion are largely learnt and built on behaviors stemming right from our childhood and upbringing.

As parents, we have a responsibility to teach our children about differences, educate them about others so they have a genuine understanding and build on their empathy and compassion. We can teach our kids how to be non-judgmental."

Here are the 5 ways to raise non-judgmental children."

How to Raise Non-Judgmental Children: 5 Ways to Build Empathy and Compassion — by Anna Partridge

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/anna-...b_7741172.html

8. #108 5 Reasons Parents Should Learn Mindfulness (And How Your Kids Can Help) 
    Blog Entries
    "We want what is best for our children. Sometimes we also want to see our own unfulfilled dreams fulfilled through them. The truth is, our children are their own individuals. Each child will eventually blossom into a beautiful unique adult. As parents we simply have to offer the nurturing environment for them to grow into themselves. Just as a plant needs pruning, we need to gently guide them at times. This guidance is often where the parenting conundrum lies. Are we giving the correct guidance? Are we imposing on them? Did we just mess up?… The list goes on—and so does the stress of being a parent.

Now I invite you to take a step back. Let’s look at parenting from a completely different perspective. What happens when we embrace this uncertainty and simply set our intention on learning from the parenting experience? After all, children come to this world with an innate sense of presence, with a natural ability to enjoy the smaller things in life. Parents, on the other hand, have lost the art of simple living. If our children become our mindfulness teachers, a shift happens—within ourselves and in our relationships, especially the ones with our kids.

Here are five reasons why parents should learn mindfulness from their children."

5 Reasons Parents Should Learn Mindfulness (And How Your Kids Can Help) — by Ayman Mukerji Househam

http://rubinmuseum.org/blog/how-to-b...rent-with-kids

9. #109 Best Parenting Video You Will Ever See! — a video by Janice S. Ellis 
    Blog Entries

10. #110 Study Suggests That Spirituality Is Key To Kids’ Happiness — by bodymindsoulspirit 
    Blog Entries
    "A professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia, Okanagan, and his colleagues Ben Coleman and Judi Wallace have conducted a study which suggests that spirituality is key to children’s happiness.(1) Over the past few years, scientists have been able to measure the affect of positive emotions and feelings of joy within our biology, so it is key to find out what best produces these feelings within us.

Just to be clear, they define spirituality as internal characteristics, an inner belief system that a person relies on for strength and comfort. Understanding happiness has been subjected to large amounts of research for a number of years. This particular one suggests that the processes that influence happiness are not guided by external factors, but internal characteristics and qualities."

Study Suggests That Spirituality Is Key To Kids’ Happiness — by bodymindsoulspirit

http://www.bodymindsoulspirit.com/st...ids-happiness/