Notices

Thread: Natural law facts: Part One — by Ken Bartle

1. #1 Natural law facts: Part One — by Ken Bartle 
    “Natural law facts arise from last weeks post concerning natural persons. There I intimated that certain natural law facts contradict the need for a legal system founded on artificial ‘legal entites.’ Qualification is needed because very few folks have any inkling about the source of natural law, or its scope. That is my purpose in this three-part post. Previously I linked to an article entitled The Lawful and the Legal, authored by Frank van Dun, a philosopher of law. I want to expand on some of the matters he raised for two reasons. First, they concur with my findings from an objective observational standpoint, not law. Second, because those conclusions reiterate morality sustains and upholds our life, always respecting that of others, whereby all else is secondary.

Conflict between natural law and positive law

In last weeks post I mentioned the conflict between natural law facts and man-made law known as positive law or legal positivism. Let’s explore that further.“

Natural law facts: Part One — by Ken Bartle

https://naturallawmatters.com/2018/0...acts-part-one/

2. #2 Natural law facts: Part Two — by Ken Bartle 
    "In Part One of Natural law facts, I listed five items for discussion here. All are intertwined, meaning that to answer one, is to answer all. That is a very tough call for any writer, or student of jurisprudence, save for one thing. Suppose there existed a fundamental, undiscovered essence of human nature, whose immutable exactness defines the structure of ethics, hence morality, wholly independent of human opinion and interpretation.

Think about that for a moment, because it is of great significance. It completely overturns 2000 years belief of natural law, which holds, ‘Natural law is a moral theory of jurisprudence, which maintains that law ought to be based on morality and ethics.’ [Whose?] Additionally, the notion ‘natural law finds its power in discovering certain universal standards in morality and ethics.’ [Agreed by whom?] Further, a philosophy asserting that certain rights are inherent by virtue of human nature, endowed by nature—traditionally by God or a transcendent source. [Asserted by whom?]

The difference is profound. What I’ve suggested is a complete reversal. It means that natural law does not find its power in someone’s interpretation. Instead, that natural law is encrypted in our nature, such that no human legislator can ever erase it. Moreover, these natural law facts are the determinants of ethics and morality. Thus ‘natural law’ is immutable, divorced from human opinion and consensus, the objective of life itself, and open to human understanding."

Natural law facts: Part Two — by Ken Bartle

https://naturallawmatters.com/2018/0...acts-part-two/

3. #3 Natural law facts: Part Three — by Ken Bartle 
    "In Natural law facts, part 2, I posited a fundamental, undiscovered essence of human nature, whose immutable exactness defines the structure of ethics, hence morality, wholly independent of human consensus and interpretation. Here I want to explore that fundamental and show its relationship to a free and just society. The question is, what evidence supports natural law facts that may not be interpreted as opinion?

First, one’s life exists. Creator has bestowed specific natural laws to govern our biological functioning, without which we could not live. Second, similar and same laws apply to our mental and spiritual operation."

Natural law facts: Part Three — by Ken Bartle

https://naturallawmatters.com/2018/0...ts-part-three/