Notices

All Blog Entries

1. From Sin to Oops

Sin is a big hammer in the toolbox of the religions of fear. When people are still primarily concerned with their animal natures and material desires a fear of wickedness make sense. The focus on not doing bad is at the heart of evolved religions and serves an important social regulatory need. They are characterized by what-nots and shall-nots rules of behavior. Participants are constantly admonished that they are sinners. They are born into sin. Repent! This is an attempt to try and guide human ...
    Categories
    Welles' Blog
  2. Metathinking

Pondering thought may apparently seem a bit ponderous but there’s a pointed purpose in the practice. Thinking about thinking is generally the province of philosophers but when it yields practical results it becomes the plunder of theoreticians who roam the cosmos to discover treasures of enlightenment.

What is thought? Mostly it is the running conversation you hold with yourself. It justifies your existence and provides a rationalization of your actions. Consider the idea that
    Categories
    Welles' Blog
  3. Phrenetic Hypothesis

I am plagued by a thought. It is somewhat like a really awful pop song that has some catchy melodic hook but horribly banal lyrics. It ensnares your mental ear and just won’t let go, periodically recycling insipid drivel over and over.

This notion has been returning to my mind for a couple of years now as it periodically bubbles to the cerebral surface. I don’t really believe in it but can’t entirely set it aside because it is a conceit on a grand scale. The word ‘conceit’
    Categories
    Welles' Blog
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567