Notices

Thread: The Science of Love

1. #1 The Science of Love 
    Blog Entries
    When people gather together and collectively attempt to access the field of Love something will happen. You wouldn’t be able to guess what that would be in advance. Each event would be an experiment. Realizations or bursts of illumination might be the result for some. A sense of spiritual refreshment for all participants is the least we could expect.

I propose to create a series of events to explore the concept. At present, however the notion is just a wisp of fog on the event horizon. Stay tuned!

2. #2 Finally! A Real Proposal 
    Blog Entries
    At long last I have put together a PDF entitled The Science of Love Experiment. It contains two one page essays that are my concepts about the nature of Love and the validity of a subjective scientific approach to exploring the field of Love. Those are entitled The Science of Love and Subjective Science. They are the foundation upon which An Experiment in Love rests. In it I suggest a simple, practical technique of experimenting to create a circuit of Love among small groups of people. Anyone interested is free to use the idea, modify it, share it or wrap fish in it. Of course they would have to be digital fish.

So here's the PDF... The Science of Love Experiment PDF

In the near future I'll be experimenting with a small group of friends and will report on the results.

Welles

Blog Entries
    I'm working toward arranging the time, place and finding interested participants for the first Experiment In Love. An experiment is just that. You are trying something new (to you anyway). For me there is always some amount of 'fear of the unknown' that I have to confront. I hadn't given that much thought until Seth Godin posted this blog entry.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_b...strangers.html

The sea of strangers

Is there anything more frightening than showing up (really showing up) in the place where you are unknown and alone?

All our warning systems are on high alert. From an evolutionary perspective, strangers represent danger. They are not only a direct threat, but carry the risk of rejection and all the insecurity that comes with it.

But the opposite can be true: Strangers can represent opportunity. The opportunity to learn, to make new connections, to build bridges that benefit everyone. 

This is an internal debate, not something that comes from outside. When we look for rejection and reasons to hold back, that’s exactly what we will find. On the other hand, if we seek possibility and look for people that need us as much as we need them, there they are.

Everyone is, at some level, shy. Everyone has the instinct to hold back, because that instinct is baked in. Those that overcome it aren’t born gregarious, they are people who realize the self-fulfilling truth of finding what they’re looking for.

The connected person is no different from you, they've merely made a generous choice, confronting their innate fear instead of hiding from it. The reward for overcoming this inertia belongs to the connector and to everyone she connects.

It’s easier than ever to convene, to organize, to create spaces where strangers will cease to be strangers and turn into allies and friends. Those that convene overcome their resistance just one time, and then benefit from the generosity they’ve delivered to the group. The only difference between a group of strangers and a group of friends is that the friends benefitted from someone willing to go first.

When we weave together strangers and turn them into a tribe, we create real value, value that lasts.

After reading Seth's post (BTW you can get his thoughts daily via an email subscription) I realized that I and everyone who participates in this first experiment will harbor some trepidation in advance but be a group of friends by at the end of a couple of hours.

4. #4 Experimenting is going beyond that which you know 
    Blog Entries
    Here's a little graphic that expresses a leap into the unknown for the reality of Love is that the results will be new every time.
    (Just a note; I couldn't find the original artist for proper attribution. I received this as an email attachment.)

Welles

Blog Entries
    Well this is the end of The Science of Love Experiment, at least by that name. You see it is a creation. Any creation is modified and adjusted constantly until it is finally manifest in reality. In this case I was told that my original presentation was too complex and bookish. After listening to the first people interested in participating I've taken the original idea but expressed it simply for clarity. So I now give you A Circuit of Love. It will have it's own thread here...

http://www.theoreticsinstitute.org/f...ircuit-of-Love