I was raised in a multi-faith family studying both the Christian and Hindu scriptures. We observed Christmas and Janmastami (the birth of Jesus and the birth of Krishna). So my two primary sources of inspiration, spiritual comfort, and illumination come from the New Testament, and the Bhagavad Gita (the song of God), the ancient Hindu scripture spoken over 5000 years ago.

I realized that the essence of these two great scriptures is the same, that I should have a personal and loving relationship with God and try to be pleasing to the Supreme by using my life for the wellbeing of others.

My faith was really put to the test and deepened when I was deployed to Iraq. There was a big sign over the gate at our camp that read “IS TODAY THE DAY.” I fell asleep most nights to the sound of mortar attacks, and woke up to the heart-wrenching task of going through a list name by name of every American casualty the day before.

I knew with little doubt that any day could be my last. So every night before I went to sleep, I would rest my heart and my mind in contemplating on verses about the eternality of the soul. I would reflect on the fact that we are only here for a certain length of time and nobody knows how long. Is today going to be the day?
Tulsi continues with the sources of her realizations that she wasn't the body but a soul and needed a personal connection to God. I'm linking this here not for political purposes but because her spiritual path seems real.

My spiritual path —byTulsi Gabbard

http://moonmagazine.org/tulsi-gabbar...th-2019-08-04/